You should not walk in remote areas without a basic knowledge of first aid. At least one person in a party should know how to bandage an ankle or apply a splint to a broken limb, and hillwalkers should be able to recognise the signs of hypothermia and how to respond.
Safety In The Mountains
* Check their route is not too ambitious and that they have sufficient time and energy to complete it
* Take warm clothing and a waterproof jacket and overtrousers
* Always take a map and compass and carry an ice axe and crampons
* Learn how to use them on safe terrain before getting into difficult situations
* Tell a family member or friend where they were going and for how long
* Check the weather forecast report prior to setting out